Thursday, April 21, 2011

David Brian Hammer

It's been one of those weeks where life is a bummer. On Tuesday morning, my uncle, David Hammer, got in a horrible car accident. With third degree burns on over 90% of his body, he was kept in a medically induced coma. His wife decided to take him off life support yesterday and he died early this morning. David was 48. He was my dad's youngest brother.

My life group just read the book Blood of the Lamb about a Dutch Reformed man from Chicago who has a life full of tragedies. The point of the book (I think) is about how in tragedy, we are all linked. We all face events in our lives that somehow bind us together. Tragedy is part of the human condition. There is no consolation in tragedy, only compassion.

3 comments:

Heidi Stokke said...

Oh Ames, I am so very sorry about your uncle. Our hearts and prayers are with you all, and especially your dad. We grieve with you, and we grieve with hope. May the Lord's grace and peace wash over you all and fill up the emptiness as you miss him. We love you, Mama and Pops

Momma said...

Amy, I just logged onto facebook and saw a post from your Aunt about your Uncle David. My husband and I went to Whittier Christian High with him. My husband graduated in the same class. We are so sorry to hear about your family's loss. We will pray for peace.

Again I am so sorry!!!

God Bless

Hjprice23 said...

Amy, Im sorry to hear about your uncle Dave. I went to School with him. I also worked for his father Bill, and brothers Randy and Rick. Im sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family will find peace. Harry