Monday, March 14, 2011

Making things for me! Part 1

I never make things for myself. If you know me, I've probably made something for you. Which, of course, I love doing. But I decided it was time to make some stuff for me. So yesterday I had the afternoon and evening to myself. I cleared away my giant work table and started sorting fabrics. I love to sort. Sometimes imagining what I can make is even more fun that actually making it. Anyhow, I sorted and picked fabrics and projects and finally I was ready to start. So my first project I chose a fabric my darling husband bought me in Bali, and a project I've been wanting to try for quite a while but was always a little scared; the skirt.


After cutting fabric for about an hour, I began to sew pieces together, learning a new technique called a French Seam, which I really liked! Makes a much neater finished seam, especially if the seam is on your skin, it's much nicer than an unfinished seam. Anyhow, I sewed and sewed and sewed, until finally it started looking like a skirt. Now, I never follow a pattern exactly because that's just no fun. So I made my wrap skirt wrap a little extra and gave it a contrasting bow that I left unfinished, because I thought it looked cuter this way. I also added a button to hold the wrap together, because we all know that a wrap skirt is a sure fire way for a windy day to get a peek. Anyhow, in the end, I'm quite proud of my skirt and think it will make a fine piece for my upcoming trip to Bali!


2 comments:

David, Rachel and Timber said...

Sew cute!(thats what you can title your sewing book)

Unknown said...

ok. love. love. love!