Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SUPER MOON!

Blame it on Super Moon or whatever, but our weekend in Phoenix was full of travel . . . curiosities. A 3-hour delay in LAX got me started off on the wrong foot, then freeway closures on multiple highways in Phoenix coupled with ZERO detour signs made for a frustrating weekend in travel. Hans and I both had bloody noses the entire trip due to the extreme dry weather.

However, we made up for all of this with enjoyable sunshine, a great time with Hans' folks, and some fun sports games. My favorite part is always food-related, and we got to have game hot dogs and Hans let me get the fake cheese nachos. YUM! I love fake cheese nachos (used to be my favorite treat on Dancing With the Stars.) We also had a lovely dinner at a little Italian bistro, where I had pecan-crusted chicken and veggies. I'll have to see if I can duplicate that at home.

But the BEST food part was going to Sweet Republic (featured in last month's Bon Appetit magazine). All home made ice creams, sorbet, and frozen yogurts! I had chocolate sorbet and honey frozen yogurt with a salted caramel sauce that was to die for! Hans had the salted caramel ice cream. And we bought a few salted caramels that we snacked on the rest of the weekend. The gals running the shop were so friendly and they had games to play at the tables, and I beat Hans for the FIRST time ever at Connect 4!

All in all it was a successful weekend, although I will say that I'm not a big fan of Southwest's seating arrangements, which had us in the back row and checking our carry-on's for our flight home. I like a few guarantees in life, including, but not limited to, my seat on an airplane. But we made it safely there and back, and that's what counts.





No comments: